Review: Exhibition on Screen - Cézanne - Portraits of a Life

Last Thursday I had the pleasure of seeing at the movie theater ‘Exhibition on Screen - Cézanne - Portraits of a Life'.

The main theme of this documentary appears to be the touring (Paris, London and Washington) Cézanne Portraits show. Throughout the film, we hear engaging commentaries from the curators from France, United States and England. We also hear from Cézanne’s great-grandson who is quite proud.

My favorite part is when the film takes us beyond the exhibition to the places Cézanne lived and worked. A few years ago, I had the place of visiting Cézanne’s studio in Provence and seeing a movie of his life. Re-seeing the scenes brought back fond memories of that experience.

Although I prefer Cézanne’s still-lives and landscapes, it was a great opportunity to see so many portraits.

I like how these documentaries provide slow, swooping shots of the artist’s environment, letters and leisurely inspections of the paintings.  It was particularly interesting to hear the exchange of letters between Cézanne and other artists, including Emile Zola. 

This past week, I worked on another still life of antiques. This time I combined three photos of oil cans and torch. My exploration of unconventional subjects continues. These cans were great items to attempt to represent including their texture.
Danielle Beaulieu watercolour oil can

I'll be finishing this painting in the coming weeks.  My next painting will likely be of tulips.

Have a great week,
Danielle

Comments