Small art supply stores

Last Friday, I had the day off and visited a couple of small art supply stores and sites in Montreal with a friend.

The first stops was Avenue des Arts in Westmount.  The focus of this store is paint and paint supplies and they are amazingly well stocked, organized, friendly, informed, and helpful. The prices were comparable to those in larger stores.  They seem to carry quality supplies. I found items here that I could not find anywhere else. The store attendant also told us they would order material they did not have if we wished.  I was helped by a young female who certainly knew about the supplies and she introduced us to some new products.  I ended up buying a new product from Portugal. When in Montreal, I will return to this well lovely shop.

The second shop we visited was called La Cohop Saint-Laurent des Arts. You enter this place through a corridor that didn't appear very safe.  This shop is also tiny, but is is cramped, disorganized and with no prices to be found anywhere. All prices had to be looked up by a staff member which was long and tedious. The selection was decent but not worth the hassle. Although this place is located along a route I normally frequent when I go to Montreal, I will not make the stop again.

There was another art supply store I wanted to visit, but they were closed. Next time maybe...   I like supporting small businesses, especially when they are charming and very helpful.

A couple of weeks ago, I was cleaning my studio and found three small (5" X 7") un-mounted and unframed paintings. I must have painted these at least a year ago.  Guess what I'm doing today. I'll have them at my next show at the Experimental Farm in August.
Danielle Beaulieu small watercolours

Have a great week.
Danielle

Comments